LEARN TO LISTEN AND RESPOND WITH PURPOSE
Listening is more than hearing. Listening is the ability to receive, interpret, and respond to verbal messages and body language in ways that are appropriate to the purpose. It’s estimated that people screen out or misunderstand the meaning of a message in over 70 percent of communications, making listening the biggest contributing factor to miscommunication.
DISCOVER THE IMPACT OF DIFFERENT LISTENING APPROACHES
The Personal Listening Profile® helps individuals identify which of the five listening approaches they use to process, organize, store, and retrieve information:
- Appreciative: Listens in a relaxed manner, seeks enjoyment, entertainment, or inspiration.
- Empathic: Listens without judging, is supportive of the speaker, and learns from the experiences of others.
- Comprehensive: Listens to organize and make sense of information by understanding relationships among ideas.
- Discerning: Listens to get complete information, understand the main message, and determine important details.
- Evaluative: Listens in order to make a decision based on information provided and may accept or reject messages based on personal beliefs.
The Personal Listening Profile helps people understand when their most natural listening approach may not be appropriate, and how to adopt another approach for more successful communication.
ORGANIZATIONS USE THE PERSONAL LISTENING PROFILE TO
- Enhance communication
- Strengthen customer relationships
- Improve management effectiveness
- Reduce conflict
- Develop leaders